Daily Archives: July 26, 2012
Last night, I attended the Southern Solicitors’ Group Dinner – this is a dinner held once a month with a one hour lecture to earn continuing professional development points. Lasagne was my main course – it tasted horrible! I forced my friend to taste it for me because I have noticed that my sense of taste seems to have totally disappeared (except with very sugary items – which I still love).
Next, I’m a smoker so supposedly my sense of smell has been affected by that; but, when plates of green, steamed (very boring – but that’s another story) vegetables were delivered to the table, the brussel sprouts smelt like someone had farted. I can smell perfume or aftershave from a mile away. I can’t walk into a fish or butcher shop or even one of those smelly candle shops because I am overwhelmed by my senses.
Is this due to the FM? Or side effects of medication?
People without FM just don’t get it! But, how could they? A lot of things about it just make no sense. (No! I’m not making excuses for them, either!) There are so many bizarre, confusing things that have happened to our bodies (and minds?) – it is no wonder the ‘normals’ have a problem understanding the condition.
People can understand that we wake up with stiff muscles; that even gentle pressure can cause pain in some places; and that our brains heighten our awareness of pain. But it is the truly weird and wonderful (?) that is confusing:
- I can’t handle the radio being on when I get into a car.
- Speed humps cause my whole body to hurt.
- Too many people talking at once causes my head to spin, but a loud(ish) crowd, where conversation is not directed at me, is tolerable for a short while.
- I have real trouble understanding people, who I don’t know, on the telephone.
- I can’t wear glasses, instead of my contact lenses, because my eyes hurt.
- The sound of motor-bike, truck or those revved up car motors forces my whole body to contract in pain.
- I feel like I am being thrown around the car when I am a passenger, as I seem to feel every bump (no matter how small).
- The dial tone on the phone vibrates through my head.
- I hate being away from my house (my sanctuary) for too long.
- No matter what time I go to bed, I always have stomach cramps.
So what weird and wonderful, unexplained effects do you experience?